M.J. Tooey, MLS, AHIP, FMLA
Associate Vice President, Academic Affairs
Executive Director, Health Sciences and Human Services Library
Director, National Network of Libraries of Medicine Southeastern/Atlantic Region
In 2013, the Health Sciences and Human Services Library (HS/HSL) will celebrate its 200th anniversary. As the founding library in the University System of Maryland, we will celebrate a proud history. Not wishing to rest on our historic laurels, the faculty and staff of the HS/HSL strive for excellence in everything we do to support the education, discovery, and service missions of our campus. As recognized leaders in our field, we look for opportunities to collaborate, we look for ways to innovate, and we look for ways to advance the integration of information resources, services, and products into all aspects of user needs…on campus, across the state, around the region, and globally.
M.J. currently serves as the Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs and Executive Director of the Health Sciences and Human Services Library (HS/HSL) at the University of Maryland, Baltimore. She is also the Director of the National Network of Libraries of Medicine's Southeastern/Atlantic Regional Medical Library Service. MJ has been a medical librarian since 1982. She began her career working in hospital library settings. She has worked at the HS/HSL since 1986 where she has held a number of positions including Project Manager for the current library building opened in 1998.
She currently serves on several University committees including the Interprofessional Education Committee; the Education subcommittee of the campus strategic planning initiative; the IT Steering Committee; the Work-life Balance Committee, the Workforce Development Committee; and several other task forces.
- BS in Education - Clarion State University (formerly Clarion State College), 1976
- MLS - University of Pittsburgh, 1982
Honors and Awards
- Distinguished Member of the Academy of Health Information Professionals, Medical Library Association
- 2011 Distinguished Alumni Award – School of Information Sciences, University of Pittsburgh
- 2009 Fellow of the Medical Library Association
- 1997 Medical Library Association Estelle Brodman Award for Academic Medical Librarian of the Year
- Lyrasis Board of Trustees – 2010-2013
- PALINET Board of Trustees – 2007-2009
- New England Journal of Medicine Library Advisory Committee – 2007-2009
- FASEB Library Advisory Committee – 2004 - present
Grants and Contracts
- Principal investigator (Proposed). "Southeastern/Atlantic Regional Medical Library Services, 2011-2016." Contract with the National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health. RFP NLM-10-055-AN
- Principal investigator. "Information Resources Grants to Reduce Health Disparities, 2011-2014." National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health. 1G08LM011079-
- President of the Medical Library Association from 2005-2006.
- Board of Directors, Association of Academic Health Sciences Libraries 2008-2011
- Tooey MJ. Renovated, repurposed, and still "one sweet library": a case study on loss of space from the Health Sciences and Human Services Library, University of Maryland, Baltimore. J Med Libr Assoc 2010 Jan; 98(1):40-3.
- Tooey MJ. A pathway for hospital librarians: why is it vital? J Med Libr Assoc 2009 Oct; 97 (4):268-72.
- Tooey MJ. The end of the (vital) pathway? MLA News. February 2009:413, p 9.
- Tooey MJ. Leiter Lecturer addresses infectious diseases and influenza. MLA News. June/July 2006:387, p5.
- Tooey MJ. Starting down vital pathways. MLA News. April 2006:385, p15.
- Tooey MJ, Mayo A. "From Study Room to Studio: Designing State-of-the-Art Collaboration Space" Poster Session. Annual Meeting, Southern Chapter, Medical Library Association, St. Petersburg, FL, November 14, 2010.
- Mayo A, Tooey MJ. "From Study Room to Studio: Designing State-of-the-Art Collaboration Space" Poster Session. Annual Meeting, Mid-Atlantic Chapter, Medical Library Association, Chapel Hill, NC. October 14, 2010.
- Plutchak T, Tooey MJ, Shipman J. "An inside look at today's health science libraries." Panel presentation. Annual Meeting, Society for Scholarly Publishing, San Francisco, CA, June 3, 2010.
- Mayo A, Tooey, MJ. "Can an online resource for "others" survive?" Poster session. Annual Meeting, Medical Library Association, Washington, DC, May 25, 2010.
- Mayo A, Tooey MJ. "2010 HealthyMe@UMB: Promoting health and wellness to the campus community."
Contributed paper. Medical Library Association, Washington, DC, May 23, 2010.
- Panel Participant. "Librarian Focus Group." Society for Scholarly Publishing. Washington, DC. February 2, 2010.